Bloggers Wanted! The College Kidd is always looking for new writers. Interested? dacollegekidd@gmail.com

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

No, I don't have a minute...

Do you have a minute to talk about Jesus? No? Me neither.

Yet every time I set foot on campus, I’m repeatedly stopped by people with surveys and a mission to spread the word of the lord. The worst part is that they totally trick you into it. There is one girl in particular who has stopped me multiple times. She says, “excuse me, can I ask you a question?” I used to assume, “oh, perhaps she wants to know the time, or maybe how to get to a specific building.” But, no, the minute I admit I have a little time on my hands she launches into her questions about religion and then offers to save my soul. It’s too late to back out of the conversation without it being awkward, so I’m stuck talking to a stranger for 15 minutes.

Don’t get me wrong. These religious tricksters aren’t the only offenders. Campus is swarming with canvassers who want to save the environment, save the children, or promote whatever other cliché political cause one might choose to support. The only difference is that these people are armed with big, noticeable clip boards. However, this doesn’t make them any easier to avoid. They are simply more aggressive. I swear they can get you to make eye contact from a mile away, no matter how hard you try to pretend that you are typing a text message on your cell phone.

It’s not that I don’t care about Jesus, the environment or the starving children in Africa. I do, sort of. I just don’t have the time to fill out a survey or sign a petition. If you ever run into me on campus, chances are I’m 10 minutes late to something—work, school, study groups etc. I don’t mean to be rude. I’m just trying to get to English class on time. My professor is tired of my chronic tardiness. But just to clarify, I don’t want to join your church either.

No comments:

Post a Comment