Bloggers Wanted! The College Kidd is always looking for new writers. Interested? dacollegekidd@gmail.com

Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Aughts

Currently, I am getting ready to attend a themed party for New Years. The theme? 80s dance party…! Yes, you can bet your ass that I will look totally rad. Let’s just say hot pink high tops, leopard print gloves and an awesomely-bad lace bow headband are involved.

Anyways, it got me thinking: As we approach the end of a decade, how will we be remembered fashion-wise? What will drunk college kids choose to wear to an Aughties party? Apparently, this decade is now referred to in the media as the Aughts, which I s'pose may be easier to say than "the 00s" (which, according to Grace, should be pronounced "oo-OO!"). 

This is a tricky question to answer. For one, a lot of our biggest trends are throwbacks to other eras. Flannel was made popular during the grunge phase in the 90s, leggings were popular in the 80s, and long before ugg boots, Sherpa-lined boots were popular in the 70s (the last one I was not aware of until I read an article in the Denver Post, who knew?) Those are only a few examples in the long list of borrowed trends.

I also realize that people’s concept of what was popular is largely based on images from television, movies, the internet etc. In my mind, everyone in the 80s either looked like Cyndi Lauper, Olivia Newton John a la “Lets get physical” or Ducky from “Pretty in Pink.” My mother informed me that this was not the case. My guess is that she just wasn’t that trendy.

With all of this in mind, I’ve come to a conclusion. In 2064, when Aughties parties become popular, everyone will dress up "emo." Why you ask? Because no one takes more self portraits than an overly emotional 17 year old with a slight case of depression, an affinity for Dashboard Confessional and a Myspace account. With all of that photographic evidence floating around on the web, when people Google “Aughties clothing” it’s likely that the results will be flooded with tight jeans, neon sunglasses, flat-ironed hair and heavy eye liner/guy liner.

Other requirements for Aughties parties will also include acting like you are having a terrible time and taking pictures of yourself and your friends by holding your camera above you at at least a 45 degree angle in what has been dubbed "the Myspace pic."

Well kidds, that’s my prediction.

Happy New Year, and remember: Everybody Wang Chung tonight. I know I will.

No comments:

Post a Comment